Like my page

Follow me on Twitter

Friday, January 14, 2011

Excerpt Thursday (Friday) - Twice Cursed

For some reason or other blogger wouldn't let me post my
excerpt yesterday - so we'll just pretend this isn't late...

Twice Cursed

Will the curse's secrets be unraveled in time?

“There is just no way to tell you this without you thinking I’m completely insane.” He sat there giving her a puzzled look. “Do you believe in magic, Colin?”
He smirked. “Like a magician?”
Maddy shook her head. “Um, no. Although a few that play at that game of illusions do have special abilities. I’m talking about magical people, who can do spectacular things...”
Colin smirked again. “Like witches?” He chuckled. “Are you an actress; is that what you’re trying to tell me?”
The kettle whistled. Maddy turned to pour it. “No, I’m not an actress. I’m a hereditary witch.” She fiddled with the tea bags, not wanting to turn around and see his expression.
“I see.” He really had no idea what to say to that.
She knew by his tone he was probably plotting on how to leave as soon as possible now. “I’m not sure you do. Have you ever seen someone do something that you just couldn’t ex-plain? Or thought you were seeing things?” She shrugged. “We’re really not supposed to use magic in the general pub-lic, but some do, at a terrible risk.” She glanced over to look at him. His look said it all: he thought she was a weirdo.
“Okay. Uh, so is there a reason for telling me this?” Why did the beautiful ones always have to have some sort of mental flaw?
Maddy turned from the cups and crossed her arms over her chest. “Yes, actually I do.” She hesitated for a few sec-onds. “When we were leaving the museum I thought I felt a trace...that’s kind of a feeling you...my kind get when magic has been used close by or to you...”
“A trace?” He studied her for a moment. “Again, why are you...” He looked like he really wanted to give her a chance. Just in case she wasn’t insane.
She let out a quick breath. “I think something was done to us...the pains hitting, but then leaving just as quickly.”
Colin raised one eyebrow at her and crossed his arms. Now he probably just wanted to go home. “I’m sure there’s a much more...sane explanation for this.”
Sane? Of course he thought she was insane. How did she prove to him she wasn’t some lunatic?


  Jacqueline Paige


No comments:

Post a Comment